The best flapjacks are gooey, chewy and, above all, simple. This is my favoured flapjack recipe a nice sticky bar of delights perfect for taking on a walk or bike ride or merely munching on when the need arises.
I always struggle to eat on rides, not for any particular reason other than being, more inclined to keep riding rather than eating. So my go to trail foods tend to be energy dense snacks, so this flapjack is ideal. Flapjack is pretty easy to make and doesn't take too much time.
You can change the recipe to include your favourite dried fruits, seeds, nuts or even chocolate. If you are feeling that you need more protein you could mix in some of your favourite protein powder. I like raisins and glace cherries in mine, I'll often add in chai and pumpkin seeds or what other dried fruits are in the magic baking cupboard.
While I use honey in my flapjacks you can use golden syrup instead if you wish. The trick in the baking is to get the exact point where it has baked enough to hold together but not so much as to be crunchy.
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 200 g demerara sugar
- 200 g honey
- 400 g porridge oats
- 50 g raisins Glacé cherries, chocolate drops etc to flavour
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Put the butter, sugar and honey in a saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Line a 20 x 30 cm Brownie tin with baking parchments
- Add the oats and and flavours , and mix well.
- Transfer the oat mixture to the prepared cake tin and spread.
- Smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges, but still slightly soft in the middle.
- Let cool in the tin, then turn out and cut into squares.
You will need a 20cm x 30cm (8in x 12in) cake tin, greased
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 1g
Enjoyed this flapjack? Why not check my other trail food recipes.