Cauliflower cheese is so simple to make and so tasty to eat, don't even think about reaching for a packet sauce mix. All they are is a bit of flour and seasoning, you probably have them in the cupboard anyway, if not buy them instead of that packet sauce.
So as I said this is really easy to make and is perfect to go with any roast dinner, to have with a jacket potato or even just to eat on its own.
The basis for the cheese sauce like for a lot of sauces is a white sauce, at its simplest just flour and milk. I like to use corn flour but you can use plain flour if you like. You might want to experiment with different cheeses, but really it doesn't matter what type of cheese you use. I like to use strong cheeses as they add real flavour, blue cheeses make really good tangy cheese sauces. Experiment!
- 300 ml semi skimmed milk
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 40 g cheddar cheese
- 20 g parmesan cheese
- Bring a pan of water to the bold and simmer the cauliflower for 5 minutes
- Add the Broccoli and simmer for a further 2 minutes then drain and allow to steam dry
- Meanwhile add the milk to a small pan on a low heat and whisk in the cornflour and mustard powder
- When the sauce starts to thicken take the pan off the heat and stir in the cheeses, keeping a little back to sprinkle on top
- Take a large oven proof dish place the cauliflower and broccoli in then pour over the sauce, sprinkle the last of the cheese on the top then place in an oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cheese top starts to brown
Serving Size:2 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 7