Well not my first birthday cake, I am slightly older than that physically if not mentally. This was the first birthday cake I have made for anyone, now at this point I should mention that this cake was for Helen at Lumiere, so the finished cake would have to be perfect.
The cake was created on a skiing theme, with a model of Helen sat on top of a snow mound sculpted from a chocolate cake.
- 200 g Shipton Mill self raising flour
- 200 g Netherend Dairy butter
- 200 g Caster sugar
- 4 Free range eggs
- 50 g Coco powder
- 100 g melted chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C (fan)
- Line a 6 inch cake tin with baking parchment, or three individual 6 inch sandwich tins.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until softened. Alternatively, you can make the cake batter, in a large mixing bowl, by hand or with an electric hand whisk.
- Add the sugar beat until well mixed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the mixture. Beat well between adding each egg, until the mixture is thick. Don't worry if it starts to curdle.
- Sift the flour and add half to the mixture. Gently mix together.
- Repeat with coco powder and melted chocolate, and gently mix together until the cake batter is soft and smooth.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until golden brown or a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g