This burrito recipe has become one of our weekday staple meals as it's so quick and easy to make.
Loving our instant pot
Years ago when we moved into our current house we were given a slow cooker. For years afterwards we made lots of use of it, often setting it up on a Sunday night to cook Monday while we were at work. generally we'd make a batch which would be enough for two nights. It made cooking at the beginning of the week a sinch and created some really good meals. Also nothing lasts forever and our trust slow cooker bowl cracked and was no more.
Now Lou had the excuse she needed to go shopping, for a while she had been looking at instant pots. An all in one slow cooker, rice steam and pressure cooker. I wasn't convinced and would have been quite happy with another slow cooker. So when she came home with a Pressure King multi cooker, I still wasn't sure that we needed it.
However I've really got into it and find it great, even for silly things like rice and pasta, which it cooks quickly with no worry of boiling over. So since I now have decided that our instant pot is great, I have been looking for different recipes, this burrito bowl is a favourite.
The recipe can of course be made on the stove, the timings and method would need to be altered to suit. If you are lucky enough to be using a multi cooker, the recipe is all done in the pot so only one pan to wash. While the recipe isn't quite put all the ingredients in and cook it's not far off. The one bit you'll need to be wary of is adding the rice, to ensure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn, make sure it sits on top of the rest of the ingredients.
- 1 Medium Onion, Diced
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 1 tsp Chilli powder, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 cup Stock, Chicken / Vegetable
- 1/2 tin Red Kidney beans
- 1/2 cup Frozen Sweetcorn
- 1/2 cup Long grain rice
- 1/2 jar Salsa / Chilli sauce
- 50 g Cheese, To serve
- 200 g Chicken, Breast or Thighs diced
- Saute onion and garlic for 4 minutes until soft
- Add Chilli power and Ground Cumin saute for further 30 seconds
- Add a quarter the stock and simmer for 1 minute
- Season the Chicken with salt and pepper
- Add the seasoned chicken, Sweetcorn, Kidney beans and Salsa / Chilli Sauce
- Stir to combine
- Sprinkle the rice over the top, do not stir
- Pour over the remaining Stock
- Set the instant pot to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes
- When the time has finished quick release the pressure
- Stir to combine the rice into everything else
- Serve in bowls generously topped with grated cheese and sour cream
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 641Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 195mgSodium: 538mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 7gSugar: 12gProtein: 62g
If you like burritos and wraps you might also like to try my Turkey Wrap recipe.