With the weather changing and the first of the autumn frosts there is a chill in the air and the time for summer foods is over. With the changing of the seasons comes a changing of the food we eat, in the summer we tend to go for light salads and not really meals that involve a lot of cooking, who wants to be slaving over a hot slave when the weather is nice outside? When the temperature drops its nice to be able to warm yourself in the kitchen and even better when a nice warm meals comes at the end. For me soups are a perfect winter food as there are warming and lift the spirits.
This recipe I like as its very low effort, no stirring and keeping an eye on a pan, just leave to roast in the oven and then blend simple, almost too simple. The roasting does give a different flavour a more delicate flavour as the cooking process is gentler, also because you are adding the stock when you are blending it's easier to get the constancy you desire, just blitz and add stock until you reach the consistency you desire. I have to say that our Froothie does make a very good job of blending the soup, it does really give a smooth result no lumps at all unlike when I've used our hand blender.
Once you have roasted your vegetable and blended into soup all you need is some nice homemade bread to accompany it and there it is one winter warming meal to keep the cold out. Of course if you don't want to eat all of your soup you can freeze it and just get it out as needed when you feel the need to be warmed from the inside.
- 6 Peppers
- 6 Tomatoes
- 2 medium Onions
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1 Carrot
- 1 stick of Celery
- 1 litre of vegatable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Herbs, Chilli and seasoning to taste
- Roughly chop the oinions, garlic, carrot and celery
- Place the onions, galic, carrot and celery in a roasting tin
- Halve the peppers and tomatoes
- Arrange them on top of the chopped vegatables
- and drizzle the oil over the top
- Season with herbs, chilli as prerfered
- Roast at 160 for 1.5 hours or until the peppers and tomatoes start to catch
- remove from oven and place all the roasted vegatbles in a blender
- add the vegatable stock
- blend until smooth